Strawberry Lemonade w/ Schisandra BerriesOriginally published on June, 14th 2021. Last updated on June 16th, 2021 Skip to Recipe
Have you ever had that afternoon, where it’s warmer out and you just want something bubbly, refreshing, and slightly sweet? This is Strawberry Lemonade w/ Schisandra Berries is the perfect drink to satisfy those desires! It’s a delicate balance of sweet and tart, delicious, and relaxing. Oh, and it also has health benefits!
If you’ve had strawberry lemonade before, you know how the sweetness of bright red strawberries complement the tart yellow lemons. That alone is refreshing in itself. Adding in Schisandra Berries complements the flavor notes of the lemons and strawberries and increases the health benefits. Schisandra Berries are packed with antioxidants and “may have adaptogenic properties” which help the body resist the effects of anxiety and stress.
This joyful trio of antioxidants is a delight to sip on and your body will thank you too! It’s kind of like. a relaxing summer cocktail but won’t leave you feeling tired and with a headache in a couple hours!
How to make Strawberry Lemonade
I always love a quick and easy drink to reach for during the summer time. With a little prep work, you can quickly make this drink on demand. Like I mentioned, the strawberry lemonade by itself is delicious. However, adding the Schisandra Berries, isn’t super difficult either and can give you a little added antioxidant and adaptogenic boost.
If you aren’t familiar with herbs, working with them can be intimidating at times. However, Schisandra Berries are super easy to work with. In order to include the Schisandra Berries, I made an overnight infusion with them. To do that, I measured out 1/2 cup of Schisandra berries, placed them in a mason jar and filled the mason jar with boiling water. I then set it on the kitchen counter to steep overnight and make sure I get all of the nourishment and the benefits out of the Schisandra Berries. Once you have this steeped, just strain out the berries and mix it into the Strawberry Lemonade. You will receive all of the extra benefits!
Benefits of Schisandra Berries
We’ve discussed a few of the benefits of Schisandra Berries, but there’s a lot more to them. Schisandra Berries are considered adaptogenic, which helps us to adapt to everyday stress. Working with adaptogens is a really great way to show your whole system some love. Living in a sometimes loud and chaotic world, we are always taking from our natural energy center. Consuming Schisandra Berries, will help you to refuel and recharge.
Schisandra Berries have been traditionally used in Chinese medicine to help aid in Liver recovery. “Schisandra contains compounds that alleviate oxidative stress on the liver and improve liver function.” – https://www.verywellhealth.com/the-benefits-of-schisandra-89075. Integrating these berries into your lemonade can help improve liver function, reduce stress, and add some magical flavor notes that complement both the strawberry and lemon.
“calm the heart and quiet the spirit”Chinese Folklore
If you’ve made this recipe, I’d love to hear your thoughts! Tag me in a picture on Instagram (@mytinylagunakitchen) or leave a comment in the comment section below! Enjoy!
- Make an overnight infusion with the schisandra berries, by boiling 2 cups of water, pour the water over the schisandra berries, place lid to steep for 8-12 hours.
- The next day strain out your schisandra berry infusion. (if you want to skip infusion use schisandra berry powder, more details in notes below)
- Pour the schisandra berry infusion in to the blender, among with your 2-4 juiced lemons.
- Add your sweetener of choice and blend well.
- Muddle your strawberries in a bowl with a fork to mash the strawberries well.
- Scoop the muddles strawberries into a cup, add ice, and pour the blended schisandra berries with lemon on top.
- Add rosemary, sliced lemon, and strawberries as a garnish.
- This recipe is wonderful to make ahead of time and can be kept in the fridge for 3-5 days, just add the rosemary right before serving and enjoying!
- If you don't have the time or patience on hand to make the overnight infusion, you can also skip the infusion and use schisandra berry powder. To do this just add the powder to water and blend with the juiced lemons.