Raspberry Rose Shrub DrinkSkip to Recipe
This Raspberry Rose Shrub drink is the perfect summer drink! Packed with a variety of health benefits, it’s a lightly fermented herbal drink, that dances as you drink it. You get all of the benefits of apple cider vinegar, your herbal allies, and the berry antioxidants in a beautifully crafted delicious drink.
So, what is a Shrub exactly?
A shrub is a syrup made from fruit- or herb-infused vinegar traditionally sweetened with sugar or honey, and can be used as a base for all different types of beverages. -> https://theherbalacademy.com/
Shrubs are very flexible, therefore you can make a shrub into a mocktail or into an alcoholic drink. The ingredients are also extremely flexible and fun to play around with. Shrubs are made in a variety of different ways. The way I chose to make this specific shrub was to leave out the sugar and honey and let it soak for 2 days in the fridge. To sweeten, I added green leaf stevia. But if you prefer for a sweeter drink feel free to add in maple syrup or honey.
Currently, we are harvesting raspberries in Southern California, so our local farm stand had an abundance. I couldn’t resist using raspberry for the base. Raspberries are also filled with antioxidants to nourish yourself & loved ones.
To add-in a heart quality to this drink, I added organic dried roses. Roses are known to uplift, attune, heal the heart and raise your spirits. Basil not only adds a delightful hint to the berries, but it is also a cooling herb which is a lovely ally for the hot and sticky summer months.
Apple Cider Vinegar in itself is quite the healer as well. On its own, I struggle with wanting to drink it on a daily basis. I’ve tricked myself into drinking ACV with this method because it is so tasty and refreshing in the shrub. Now I find myself wanting to keep a jar in the fridge going at all times!
Flexibility in the Raspberry Rose Shrub
I am a firm believer in enjoying and making use of the produce that surrounds us each season. Therefore if you want to switch out some of the ingredients to suit your needs, I am in full support.
Once the syrup is made and ready to go, I love to pair it with sparkling water, but you can add in your favorite drink or drinking spirit of choice.
You can enjoy this drink in your own home or bring it to any party. Especially if you aren’t quite the alcohol drinker, like myself, and still want to carry around a fancy fruit & herbal infused drink to enjoy, this shrub is your perfect companion!
Raspberry Rose Shrub Drink
If you haven't heard of shrubs, this is a good place to begin! These traditional drinks are super refreshing and easy to make.
- 2 cups raspberries
- 1-2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 1-2 teaspoons of fresh basil
- 1-2 tablespoons dried organic rose petals
- 1/2 teaspoons stevia
- OR 2 tablespoons of maple syrup or honey
- 1 bottle of sparkling water
- Place raspberries, apple cider vinegar, basil, and rose petals into a 32oz mason jar, use wooden pallet or spoon to mash the ingredients together.
- Put a well-secured cheesecloth over the jar & leave on the countertop for 12 hours.
- After 12 hours place a piece of parchment paper over the jar and secure with a lid.
- For the next 3 days shake the jar around 2-3 times, this will release the fermentation & flavors.
- After the 3 days strain out the pulp mix into another mason jar.
- Add more sweetener if you desire.
- Pour the shrub into the bottom of the glass, add ice, and sparkling water.
- Store in the fridge if you don’t finish it all.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 59Total Fat: .8gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 52.6mgCarbohydrates: 9.2gSugar: 3.1gProtein: 3.5g