Homemade Strawberry Rose Chia Jam Buckwheat PopTarts
Buckwheat PopTart Dough:
- 2 cups buckwheat flour
- (1 teaspoon of monk fruit (use MYTINYLAGUNA for 20% off) + drops of stevia to taste-optional)
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup coconut shortening + 2 tablespoons (can use vegan butter as well)
- ¼ cup plant-based milk
- 1 flax egg (3 tbsp of water w/ 1 tbsp of flax)
- splash of vanilla extract
- rose petals to sprinkle on
Strawberry Rose Chia Jam:
- In a food processor, combine the buckwheat flour, monk fruit & stevia, salt, and baking powder.
- Slowly add the palm shortening, the milk, & flax egg.
- Once a dough forms, remove it from the food processor, wrap in plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Remove half of the dough from the refrigerator, roll out on a well-floured surface and cut into shapes of choice.
- I laid down a parchment paper, floured, added dough, & added another parchment paper over to roll out.
- Change the parchment paper out often if it becomes too greasy.
- Spoon about 1 tablespoon of jam onto each cut-out.*
- Remove the second half of the dough from the refrigerator, roll out and cut into exactly the same shapes as before.
- Place the shapes on top of the others and press down the edges with a fork to seal.
- If the dough is very dry and breaks when pressing down, dip your fork into shortening before pressing. Also helps to hold fork slightly down & forward when pressing.
- Make a + in the middle of the PopTart with a knife or fork.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes until golden.
- Enjoy right away or store in an airtight container for up to a week in the fridge.
*How to make the jam:
- In a medium saucepan, add strawberries and monk fruit & stevia to cook over medium heat.
- Allow the fruit to cook until it starts to slightly soften. Use a fork to soften berries so they break down and start to become a syrup. This process will take 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in add chia seeds and rose water.
- Taste and adjust the sweetness and rose water as needed.
- Let stand for 5-10 minutes until it starts to get thick.