Homemade Chest Rub to Relieve CongestionSkip to Recipe
Enjoying the autumn weather but feeling a little bit congested? This simple, homemade chest rub to relieve congestion is just what you need. It’s 100% natural so not only will you feel good while using it, you will feel good about using it as well. Made with eucalyptus and peppermint, your airways will feel instant relief upon applying.
A Simple Home Remedy for Chest Congestion
I was inspired to create this chest rub as a simple home remedy for chest congestion and an alternative to Vicks Vapo-rub. As the seasons shift from summer to autumn and winter, I tend to get congested at some point. I wanted to be prepared this season with an all-natural remedy. I try to live as sustainable and natural as possible, so I wanted a solution where I knew the ingredients were safe and didn’t hesitate to use them. However, the chest rub also had to be effective.
Combining the natural aromatics of peppermint and eucalyptus with menthol crystals, I was able to create a wonderful, all-natural home remedy for congestion. Mixed with beeswax, coconut oil, and olive oil at the right ratios, you end up with a homemade chest rub gel that’s easy to apply and provides instant relief.
Right when I applied the chest rub I felt my airways open and relief from even the smallest amount of chest congestion. I’m so excited to share this recipe and hope it helps keep you feeling your best!
What makes this home remedy effective is not only the natural ingredients, but how accessible it is to make. There’s very little equipment needed. You will need a double boiler setup, a jar to infuse the oil, and a few small air-tight containers to store the final product.
Making the Chest Rub
With this recipe, if you are planning ahead, you will have to infuse rosemary with olive oil. While the process is simple (add a half cup of dried rosemary to a jar and cover with olive oil), you will have to let it infuse for 2-4 weeks. Now you don’t have to infuse the olive oil, but the rosemary definitely adds some helpful aromatics to naturally relieve congestion.
Once you have your olive oil, you will need to melt the beeswax and coconut oil in a double boiler and mix in the infused olive oil. When they are fully immersed, remove from heat and add in the eucalyptus, scotch pine, and peppermint essential oils along with the menthol crystals. Mix thoroughly and pour into small airtight jars for storage.
If you are looking for a little bit more of a “solid” chest rub, I’d slightly adjust the ratio in favor of the beeswax. Feel free to experiment with the ratios. The effectiveness comes from the aromatics.
How to Relive Congestion Naturally
Once you have your chest rub made, you can use it to relieve congestion naturally. Simply place a little of the chest rub on your fingers and gently massage it into your chest. You will feel a cooling on application and the aromatics will begin to open your airways.
As with any new topical product, I’d do a small test first before diving in. Especially if you have sensitive skin. Just take a small dot of the chest rub, apply it to your skin, and let it sit for a little bit. If everything feels good, feel free to apply more chest rub for a better effect.
Cheers to a Congestion-Free Season
This is one natural remedy I’ve been so excited to share! Let me know how it works for you by tagging me on Instagram (@mytinylagunakitchen) or commenting on this post. Hopefully, this home remedy for congestion keeps you breathing clear for the rest of the year! Recipe inspiration is from our dear friends at Mountain Rose Herbs.
- Make the rosemary infused olive oil by adding 1/2 cup of dried rosemary to a jar and pour over the olive oil. Infuse for 2-4 weeks. Strain before making the herbal chest rub.
- In a double boiler, gently warm the beeswax, coconut oil and rosemary infused olive oil together until fully melted.
- Remove from heat and let it cool for a few minutes.
- Add the menthol crystals, eucalyptus, pine and peppermint essential oils to the melted mixture and stir well.
- Pour the mixture into a clean, airtight container, such as a jar or tin.
- Let it cool completely and solidify before using.
How to Use & Tips:
- Take a small amount of the chest rub and gently massage it onto your chest.
- You can also apply a small amount to your back and throat for additional relief.
- Repeat as needed, especially before bedtime or when experiencing congestion.
- I recommend using small jars to store rather than large jars or tins.
- If you are looking for a little bit more of a “solid” chest rub, I’d slightly adjust the ratio in favor of the beeswax. Feel free to experiment with the ratios. The effectiveness comes from the aromatics.
Note: Always perform a patch test before using any new product on your skin, especially if you have sensitive skin or allergies.
Remember, it's always best to consult with a healthcare professional if you have any concerns or if your symptoms persist or worsen.