With just a few ingredients, you can make this Broccolini and Greens Frittata which is delicious for any time of day. This frittata is nourishing, quick and easy to make, and is a great meal for any morning, weeknight or weekend. Oh, and by the way, frittatas make great leftovers!
We tend to make frittatas when we have some spare ingredients lying around. Literally, you can throw in all of your green veggies, leftover sausages, a few eggs and come out with a filling meal. During the week we love to make frittatas, especially when Dan and I are both working from home. We usually will have leftover sausages or meat from another meal to use up.
Let’s Mix It Up
Like I mentioned, frittatas are usually a combination of all the goodies we had as leftovers. First, we chop up the veggies. These can either be fresh or on their last leg, mixed together with eggs and meat, the whole mixture will taste amazing.
Next, we find some meat. Usually Dan and I will have a few sausages left from the week. In this case we had some pasture raised chicken jalapeño sausages left over. I sliced them up and mixed them in with the veggies.
For eggs, we love to use farmers market pastured raised eggs from our local farmers but you can use anything that you have in stock. The farm fresh eggs tie the other ingredients together and make for an excellent tasting frittata.
The trick to a good frittata is a well-used and loved Cast Iron Skillet. We bought ours off of Amazon at a really affordable price, and have had it for a couple of years. Cast irons are one of those things where they only get better with time, as long as you take care of them and season them.
We start making the frittata on the stove in order to get the veggies and inside filling of your choice. Next, we transport it to the oven so it will finish it off nicely by distributing the heat evenly. Making frittatas is always a great way to sneak in the extra veggies, for yourself, kids or men in your life too!
Whenever we make a frittata we either make one big batch for the same day, to have leftovers. Or we love to meal prep frittatas for the next 1-3 days.
This frittata is simple to make and delicious to eat, however, you can be as creative as you want! Frittatas are so customizable! If you want to, you can add other veggies, cheese, avocado, probiotic-rich vegan sour cream, salsa, edible flowers, microgreens, etc. What are some of your favorite ingredients? I’m always stoked to see what other creations you guys come up with. Make sure to tag me on Instagram (@mytinylagunakitchen) with your creations!
- 1 tablespoon of Ghee or Avocado Oil
- 1-3 stalks of Broccolini
- 3-5 stalks of Swiss Chard or any Leafy Greens
- 1 cup or more of Leftover Protein
- 4-6 Organic Eggs
- 2 tablespoons of Full-Fat Coconut Milk (optional)*
- 1 teaspoon of Pink Sea Salt and Pepper
- 1-3 garlic cloves
- 1/4 chopped onions*
- You don’t have to add the full-fat coconut milk, but it will make it extra fluffy.
- You can also leave out the onions if you wish but it will add more flavor if you have them on hand.
- Preheat over to 350 degrees.
- In a cast iron skillet pour in your ghee or avocado oil to heat up about medium-high heat.
- Add in your garlic cloves and onions.
- Start to saute your vegetables, and protein of choice.
- While they are cooking add your eggs, full-fat coconut milk, sea salt, and pepper into a bowl or high-speed blender.
- Whisk or blend well.
- Pour blended mix into the cast iron pan.
- Cook for about 3-5 minutes just enough time for the edges to set.
- Place the skillet into the oven.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes until the top is golden, can broil the last two minutes to get really golden.
- Carefully take out of the oven to slice, and enjoy!